The bifurcation of the Andhra Pradesh weakened the state in every possible way.But the biggest blow came in the form of economic weakness. People were also disheartened by the division as Hyderabad was also taken away. As a result, the statehad to start from the scratch in literal terms. There was no major city, no capital and the state needed to build its economy once again.
Now, people looked up to Chandrababu Naidu to save the state and build a whole new world, like he had promised. Little did they know, that the person they thought as a savior was in fact a wolf in a sheep skin.
People had expected a responsible government. Instead, they got Chandrababu Naidu who is a 420 in AP as it was proven with his many acts of corruption. The list of his corruption stories is endless, and once of them was the Polavaram project scam. This time, it was not just the opposition trying to stir things. This time, it was the CAG (Comptroller and Auditor General of India) that blew off the cover from one of the biggest scams the state has seen. After reading the report by CAG, you will know the answer as who is 420 in AP.
The CAG Report Was Just the Starting
For anyone who doesn’t know what CAG is, it is an independent institution and authority that comes under the Constitution of India. CAG is responsible for overlooking how funds and public money are spend on various development projects. It is an institution through which the government and other public authorities are held accountable in the parliament and state legislatures to the citizens of the state and the country.
CAG was doing its usual job of supervising the Polavaram Project, and filed a report for the year 2017 in which it clearly states that Chandrababu Naidu has misused the money. The report said that the government had clearly failed in every front. The comments mentioned in the report was clear indication on how Chandrababu Naidu, who is 420 in AP no doubt, looted the public in the name of development.
The CAG report was a result of Performance Audit and Compliance Audit on Water Resources Department, Information Technology, Electronics and Communications Department; Environment, Forests, Science and Technology Department; and Industries and Commerce Department.
Needless to say, that Chandrababu Naidu had lost all his credibility as the CAG report came out. Now, if the answer to who is 420 in AP comes as Chandrababu Naidu, no one should be surprised at all.
Takeaway from the CAG report
Now, the CAG report detailed all the findings of the audit it performed in regards to the Polavaram irrigation project. It was supposed to be a major project in the state that would provide the state with efficient water system as well lead the state on the path of development. But, none of that happened, here is why:
1. The CAG report stated that the Polavarm project, which started in 2004, is gong slow and is not likely to be completed by the year 2019. The report pointed out that the state government aka Chandrababu Naidu Govt failed on many levels. It failed to plan properly, which then led to delay in the finalization of designs, land acquisition and R&R.
2. There was considerable delay in the enforcement of the contract conditions. As many know, the contracts were handed to a selective few who already had connections with Chandrababu Naidu and his party. The center and the state committee of experts clearly stated that Transtroy (JV), a company owned by the TDP MP Rayapati Samabasiva Rao, didn’t qualify for the job. As a result, there was no progress in the project till 2016.
3. Chandrababu Naidu, who is 420 in AP, was suppose to penalize the contractor that belonged to the company owned by the MP of his own party. As predicted, he did nothing. On the contrary, Chandrababu Naidu increased the estimated costs of the headworks to Rs. 1331.91 crore on September 8, 2016. Technically, it was 2 years before the deadline of the contract and was done to benefit the contractor.
4. The increase in the estimated cost resulted in a situation where the Chandrababu Naidu govt was suppose to the collect the Rs. 66.59 crore in lieu of performance security from the contractor. But that didn’t happen. The government actually gave him exemption from it. Additionally, Chandrababu Naidu, bought steel worth Rs. 25.37 crore and gave it to the contractor. On top of that, the government paid import duty of Rs. 5.72crore on the equipment imported by the contractor, instead of the contractor doing it.
5. Chandrababu Naidu, who is 420 in AP as many people know, went out of his way to protect the contractor in the Polavaram Project. How? The state government gave the contractor an advance of Rs. 404.86, of which the govt was suppose to collect it along with along with 11% interest from the 21st bill onwards. But Chandrababu Naidu delayed the recovery of money. In addition to that, the state govt pumped out Rs. 95 crores of advance to the contractor once again.
This doesn’t even touch the tip of the iceberg. The report contains many more details on how Chandrababu Naidu, who is 420 in AP, misused the money, violated many rules, made exception without precedent and led Andhra Pradesh on the path of disaster.